Thursday, November 14, 2013

Recipe Swap!!!!!!!!

Hello, Hello!!!!  Long time, no write!!  I feel like a girble on a running wheel -- does anyone else ever feel that way? 

 Well, November is here and almost gone....I accepted an invitation to be in a recipe swap and my swap partner was Julie from Confessions of a cooking diva --
http://www.confessionsofacookingdiva.com.  We had about 15-20 days from the time we each received our recipes to make, photograph, and blog - our due date is Nov. 15.....I got it in just under the wire and as I find out so did Julie!!

We had the teacher who arranges the German exchange students over for dinner last night for our monthly evaluation of both Lukas and us.  I know he loves chicken so I thought this would be the perfect recipe (atleast I hoped!!) to serve along with the chicken and stuffing.  Ready............

Yams and Apple Casserole
1 large can of cut up yams, 3 apples (I used 4 cause they were small) cut and peeled .. golden delicious or Rome.    Then mix 1 stick of butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup of hot water.   Melt all the last 5 ingredients in a sauce pan until butter is melted - then add 3 Tbls of cornstarch to a small amount of water - mix well - pour into sauce and cook til bubbly


meanwhile, cut up yams and core, peel and cut apples - layer in greased 13 x 9 casserole dish (oops! I put it in a Pyrex casserole round dish)    Alternate yams and apples

after sauce is thickened and bubbly pour over  yams and apples


bake in a prepared 350 oven for 1 hour - I started off covering this then half way through I took it off.  My sauce never got really thick -I don't know if it is supposed to or not - maybe cause I used the wrong dish?????    Anyway - this is what it looks like cooked.......

btw:  Julie never said whether to cover or not........

Our guest  L O V E D  this and I told him about the swap.  He asked if she was from the south cause "white people don't eat yams!"  I said, "yes they do!! but I don't know if she is from the south, I'll ask her."   hahahahahahahahah we all laughed!

Well, I asked Julie today and she is from the west!!  That answers that!!    This casserole was delicious!  Everyone loved it - even Lukas, our resident German, who has never seen nor eaten a yam/sweet potato in his life!  He was a bit nervous of the unknown but really enjoyed it.   Mr. Williams went home with the leftovers!! 

It was very easy to prepare, the hardest part being peeling, coring, slicing the apples.  I was going to use my Pampered Chef apple peeler, corer, slicer, but didn't feel like setting it up and cleaning it up - by that time the apples would have been done anyway.   

I will be joining some sort of party with this recipe, courtesy of Julie!!   I hope you guys try this and like me, will bring it to your Thanksgiving feast!!

Until next time...................Trisha

Fluster BusterAll Things Thursday Blog Hophttp://s3.amazonaws.com/z90/d7563d332436cc96671be5ed9979147fx.png   DIY by Design
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FromMyFrontPorchToYours/~3/YbeKbtg0UkI/treasure-hunt-thursday-132-highlights.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

No comments:

Post a Comment